148. Reginald Henry Barnes & Newton E Howe 1870
A number of maps of Devon are to be found in works on the dioceses: one was issued by Sackett (see 143); one a copy of Arrowsmith by Oliver (see 129 and 80A); and another appeared issued by Reginald Henry Barnes and Newton E Howe. This latter map shows principal towns and the rivers, no roads are shown but the railways have been included: lines to Ashburton and Brixham are described but not the line to Kingswear and some proposed lines are shown with a pecked line, e.g. Okehampton to Tavistock, Bideford to Sampford Courtney, and Taunton to Barnstaple and Ilfracombe which help date the map to 1870-72.
The map was dedicated to Frederick Temple (1821-1902), formerly Headmaster at Rugby, who was consecrated as Bishop of Exeter on December 21st 1869 and installed eight days later as Exeter’s 61st bishop. The map may have been produced to commemmorate this event.
The episcopal see for Devonshire was first established at Crediton in 909 AD. The ancient Cornish see is believed to have been founded at Petroc-Stow in 905, and when that place was sacked by the Danes in 981 it moved to St Germans. In 1050 the bishoprics of Tawton, St. Germans and Crediton were united by Edward the Confessor into one diocese in the church of St Peter at Exeter. Six years after this map was completed, c.1870, the Cornish see was separated and returned to Cornwall and to Truro. The diocese of Exeter was then limited to the county boundaries.
In 1896 Bishop Frederick became Archbishop of Canterbury. Reginald Henry Barnes M A was prebendary of Exeter and vicar of Heavitree where he lived. He produced a number of ecclesiastical works; Asa's Victoryin 1869; sermons given by Henry, Lord Bishop of Exeter in 1863 together with Christopher Churchill Bartholomew; and wrote a preface for Henry George Tomkins'Church of the First Born, 1863. He might have been related to Samuel Barnes who together with Arthur Burch had a solicitor’s practice in Palace Gate, Exeter. Arthur Burch was proctor and notary public. He was also secretary to the Bishop of Exeter and the Bishop of Cornwall. In addition his duties included registrar of the diocese and in his legal role he was solicitor to Exeter School. In 1851 a Ralph Barnes, who had been Chapter Clerk at Exeter for nearly 40 years, gave evidence at the House of Lords and presented a map of one of the manors under the Bishop´s authority.1
According to J T White's History of Torquay2 Temple's selection was not popular. When it became known that Dr Temple would be nominated, there was a general outcry, and on the 25th of October, at a meeting of the clergy held in Torquay, it was resolved to present a memorial to Her Majesty against the contemplated appointment of Dr Temple as Bishop of this diocese, on the ground that he was one of the authors of the famous "Essays and Reviews". However, White goes on to recount that at the time of writing Dr Temple had been accepted by his lofty example and the devotion with which he labours in the interest and welfare of the diocese.
Size: 587 x 461 mm. Scale of Miles (11 = 68 mm).
A PAROCHIAL BOUNDARY MAP OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON. Reduced & corrected from the Tithe Maps in the Registry of the Diocese, by the Permission of ARTHUR BURCH, ESQR. & dedicated to the RIGHT REVEREND FREDERICK LORD BISHOP OF EXETER by his faithful servants REGINALD HENRY BARNES AND NEWTON E HOWE. With below a list of parishes not named on the map. No imprints.
||A Parochial Boundary Map of the County of Devon
||[Exeter]. [Anon]. (1870).
 Included in the report from the Select Committee of the House of Lords which was appointed to consider The Bill intituled An Act for the Management and Regulation of Episcopal and Capitular Estates and Revenues in England and Wales; Session 1851; pages 113-133.
 Directory Office, Torquay; 1878.
 Illustration courtesy of Devon Archives & Local Studies, Exeter - PM DEV/1860/BAR.